Indication for Humulin® R U-500
- Humulin R U-500 is a concentrated human insulin indicated to improve glycemic control in adults and children with diabetes mellitus requiring more than 200 units of insulin per day.
- Limitation of Use: The safety and efficacy of Humulin R U-500 used in combination with other insulins has not been determined. The safety and efficacy of Humulin R U-500 delivered by continuous subcutaneous infusion has not been determined.
Important Safety Information for Humulin R U-500
- Humulin R U-500 is contraindicated during episodes of hypoglycemia and in patients hypersensitive to Humulin R U-500 or any of its excipients.
Warnings and Precautions
- Dosing Errors: Extreme caution must be observed in measuring the dose of Humulin R U-500 because inadvertent overdose may result in serious adverse reaction or life-threatening hypoglycemia.
- Hyperglycemia, Hypoglycemia or Death Due to Dosing Errors in the Vial Presentation: Medication errors associated with the Humulin R U-500 vial resulting in patients experiencing hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia or death have been reported.
- If using the Humulin R U-500 KwikPen, patients should be counseled to dial and dose the prescribed number of units of insulin (NO dose conversion is required).
- DO NOT transfer Humulin R U-500 from the Humulin R U-500 KwikPen into any syringe for administration. Overdose and severe hypoglycemia can occur.
- Never Share a KwikPen or U-500 Syringe Between Patients, even if the needle is changed. Sharing poses a risk for transmission of blood-borne pathogens.
- Hyperglycemia or Hypoglycemia with Changes in Insulin Regimen: Changes in insulin, manufacturer, type, or method of administration should be made cautiously and only under medical supervision and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring should be increased.
- Hypoglycemia: Hypoglycemia is the most common adverse reaction associated with insulin, including Humulin R U-500. Severe hypoglycemia can cause seizures, may be life-threatening, or cause death. Severe hypoglycemia may develop as long as 18 to 24 hours after an injection of Humulin R U-500. Hypoglycemia can impair concentration ability and reaction time; this may place an individual and others at risk in situations where these abilities are important, such as driving or operating other machinery.
- Hypersensitivity and Allergic Reactions: Severe, life-threatening, generalized allergy, including anaphylaxis, can occur with insulin products, including Humulin R U-500. If hypersensitivity reactions occur, discontinue Humulin R U-500; treat per standard of care and monitor until symptoms and signs resolve.
- Hypokalemia: Insulin use can lead to hypokalemia that left untreated may cause respiratory paralysis, ventricular arrhythmia, and death. Use caution in patients who may be at risk for hypokalemia (e.g., patients using potassium-lowering medications, patients taking medications sensitive to serum potassium concentrations).
- Fluid Retention and Heart Failure with Concomitant Use of PPAR-gamma Agonists: Thiazolidinediones (TZDs), which are PPAR-gamma agonists, can cause dose-related fluid retention, particularly when used in combination with insulin. Fluid retention may lead to or exacerbate heart failure. Observe patients for signs and symptoms of heart failure. If heart failure develops, it should be managed according to current standards of care, and discontinuation or dose reduction of the PPAR-gamma agonist must be considered.
- Adverse reactions include hypoglycemia, allergic reactions, lipodystrophy, injection site reactions, weight gain, peripheral edema, and immunogenicity.
- Some medications may alter glucose metabolism and may necessitate insulin dose adjustment. Signs of hypoglycemia may be reduced or absent in patients taking antiadrenergic drugs. Particularly close monitoring may be required.
Use in Specific Populations
- Pregnancy Category B: While there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women, evidence from published literature suggests that good glycemic control in patients with diabetes during pregnancy provides significant maternal and fetal benefits.
- Pediatric Use: There are no well-controlled studies of use of Humulin R U-500 in children. Standard precautions as applied to use of Humulin R U-500 in adults are appropriate for use in children.
- Geriatric Use: There are no well-controlled studies of use of Humulin R U-500 in geriatric patients. In elderly patients with diabetes, the initial dosing, dose increments, and maintenance dosage should be conservative to avoid hypoglycemia.
- Renal or Hepatic Impairment: Frequent glucose monitoring and insulin dose reduction may be required in patients with renal or hepatic impairment.
Dosage and Administration
- Prescribe Humulin R U-500 ONLY to patients who require more than 200 units of insulin per day.
- Humulin R U-500 is available as a KwikPen or a multiple dose vial. Patients using the vial must be prescribed the U-500 insulin syringe to avoid medication errors.
- DO NOT perform dose conversion when using the Humulin R U-500 KwikPen. The dose window of the KwikPen shows the number of units of Humulin R U-500 to be injected and NO dose conversion is required.
- DO NOT perform dose conversion when using a U-500 insulin syringe. The markings on the syringe show the number of units of Humulin R U-500 to be injected. Each marking represents 5 units of insulin.
- Instruct patients using the vial to use only a U-500 insulin syringe and on how to correctly draw the prescribed dose into the syringe. Confirm that the patient has understood these instructions and can correctly draw the prescribed dose with their syringe.
- Advise the patient to read the Patient Information and Instructions for Use.
- Instruct patients to always check the insulin label before administration to confirm the correct insulin product is being used.
- Inspect Humulin R U-500 visually and only use if the solution appears clear and colorless.
- Administer Humulin R U-500 subcutaneously two or three times daily approximately 30 minutes before a meal. Rotate injection sites to reduce the risk of lipodystrophy.
- Individualize the dose of Humulin R U-500 based on metabolic needs, blood glucose monitoring results, and glycemic control goal.
- Do NOT administer Humulin R U-500 intravenously or intramuscularly.
- Do NOT mix Humulin R U-500 with other insulins.
- Protect from heat and light. Do not freeze. Do not use Humulin R U-500 after the expiration date stamped on the label.
- Humulin R U-500 Vials: Unopened vials of Humulin R U-500 should be kept in a refrigerator. Opened (in-use) vials of Humulin R U-500 should be kept in the refrigerator or at room temperature and used within 40 days of opening. Throw away any opened vial after 40 days of use, even if there is insulin left in the vial.
- Humulin R U-500 KwikPen: Unopened Humulin R U-500 KwikPens should be kept in a refrigerator. Opened (in-use) Humulin R U-500 KwikPens should be kept at room temperature and used within 28 days of opening. Do not refrigerate opened KwikPens. Throw away any opened KwikPen after 28 days of use, even if there is insulin left in the pen.
Please click to access Patient Information, Full Prescribing Information, and Instructions for Use for the pen and vial.
HM U500 HCP ISI 27SEP2016
Humulin® and KwikPen® are registered trademarks owned or licensed by Eli Lilly and Company, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. Humulin® R U-500 is available by prescription only.
BD™ is a trademark of Becton, Dickinson and Company.